Pick a theme
Home is like an extension of its homeowners. You can easily imagine children playing in a bright coloured room with sunlight streaming from a French window and a soft carpet softening their playful antics rather than them playing in a bachelor pad with black walls and a leather sofa!
Stick to one broad theme, most commonly being homely and warm. Some have affiliation towards ethnic and royal interiors. There are many takers for minimalism too where the mantra is ‘ less is more”. Many modern homes can be seen housing contemporary pieces of furniture and paintings.
The idea is to pick a theme and choose accessories which draw a parallel with that theme rather than conflicting it. A yellow couch with colourful cushions will look inviting in a family home and rather an eyesore in a home with a modern setting.
Pick complementing furniture
The market is bursting at its seams with a wide variety of furniture. There are innumerable options in materials like wood, fabric, metal etc. Wrought iron furniture which was so popular decades ago now finds place mostly in patio furniture.
Furniture should be chosen according to the lifestyle.
Heavy wooden furniture looks good in a traditional setting with luxury and royalty as its underlying current. Metallic furniture lends a modern touch while jute furniture is good for people who are younger or have a bohemian taste.
Nothing feels quite as luxurious as a premium carpet beneath your feet. Carpets and rugs offer a layer of warmth and comfort that is unmatched by any other floor covering. Available in infinite patterns, colours and styles, carpets are one of the staple home decor items which can make or break a look! A hand woven carpet in a rich colour like maroon or brown can instantly uplift your home decor while an irregular shaped carpet can add an edge in a modern home!
- There are many carpet interior decor hacks idea but the type of carpet you choose will depend on your personal taste, the existing decor of your home, and the purpose of the space. For example, if you want to create a cosy and warm atmosphere in your living room, a textured rug in a neutral colour like beige or grey would be perfect. On the other hand, if you want to add some colour and pattern to your bedroom, a geometric or floral printed carpet would work like a charm.
Some antique carpets are often treated as family heirlooms and passed down through the generations.
Transform your space with dual purpose carpets
- Here are some ideas…
Rugs at the entrance of a house can enhance the aesthetic appeal while also keeping the home clean. A durable rug with a non-slip bottom can trap dirt and moisture, preventing it from entering the house. Choose a rug that complements the overall decor of the house and is easy to clean.
- Adding a flat-weave carpet or rug as a topper to your bedding can instantly transform the look of your bed. Choose a rug that complements the colour scheme of your room and the bedding. Lay it flat on top of your bedding to add a touch of elegance and richness.
- Rugs in bathrooms can add warmth and comfort, while also protecting floors from water damage. Opt for a rug made of absorbent material that can easily be machine washed. Make sure the rug is the right size for your bathroom and coordinates with your existing decor.
- Carpets make excellent wall art. Hang a modern carpet on the wall as a backdrop for a photo collage or a collection of crockery, which will be highlighted by the contrasting texture the carpet provides.
- Add exclusive handmade or embroidered carpets to be mounted on the walls with lamps to achieve a vintage and artistic ambiance.
- Seamlessly blend different fabric carpets to create a cosy atmosphere in any room. They can be hung in various ways, such as on a curtain rod with decorative edges, two hooks, or even a simple wooden rod.
- A wall can be entirely embellished by using a carpet that has been joined seamlessly. This not only introduces a pleasing colour palette to the wall but also provides a calming texture.
- Carpets can be used to panel the stairs to give better acoustics and add safety.
- Use home decor items to complement your carpet
Home interior decor hacks items like mirrors, art pieces, vases, lamps, cushions and knick knacks should follow the same theme. For instance, if you have a neutral-coloured carpet, you can add some pops of colour with decorative pillows made from wool or silk.
Similarly, if you have a patterned carpet, you can complement it with solid-coloured home decor items. Remember, the key is to create a cohesive and harmonious look.
Mix and match home decor items with your carpet
After laying down the perfect carpet, it’s essential to mix and match textures with other accessories for home decor like curtains, furniture etc. For instance, if you have a plush and fluffy carpet in your living room, you could pair it with a smooth and shiny coffee table. The combination of different textures adds depth and interest to your space. You can also mix and match textures by layering carpets. For example, you can place a smaller rug on top of a larger one, creating a visual interest.
Use statement pieces sparingly
Statement pieces do wonders to your home decor only if used sparingly. One or two statement pieces, such as a unique wall art or a vintage vase, can add a lot of character to your space. However, if you add too many statement pieces, it can create visual clutter, making your space look chaotic and overwhelming.
Plants not only add a touch of nature to your space but also purify the air and improve your mood. You can place plants on your coffee table, on the windowsill, or in a corner of your room.